Culture & Gastronomy Published on 30/03/2021
Sometimes it’s hard to find activities when the weather is not cooperating! You almost want to stay in bed, watching a good movie with a cup of hot cocoa! But not in the Pays de Gex, where you can have fun and enjoy yourself! Follow the guide and discover our activities.
In the Pays de Gex, rainy days make for new discoveries!
Whether with friends or family or even on your own, we suggest you relax in front of a good film at the Voltaire cinema in Ferney-Voltaire or at the Patio cinema in Gex.
If you are more of a gourmet than a film buff, try one of our gastronomic or traditionnal restaurants where you can taste our local specialities: blue cheese tartiflette, fondue, blueberry pie… There’ s plenty to make your appetite rise! We can recommend some of the best addresses for a successful meal: the cheese bar in Grilly, the restaurant le Centre in Lélex or the Brasserie le Panorama at the Col de la Faucille, with its authentic and warm atmosphere.
Are you rather interested in cultural activities? Are historical sites and museums your favourite pastime? Discover without further ado our top 5:
- Travel back to the Age of Enlightenment by walking into the Château de Voltaire ! This unique venue invites you to discover one of the greatest French philosophers and the house where he spent most of his life in Ferney-Voltaire. Due to a thorough refurbishment, your visit will be truly unforgettable: scenography, staging, etc. You’ll feel like you’re living in a castle!
- The Fort l’Écluse also guarantees a great discovery! Built into the rock and set high above the Rhône River, this military fort offers an outstanding view from the town of Léaz. From the underground passageways, immerse yourself in the daily life of a soldier through the discovery of the rooms where life was lived in the past… You won’t be disappointed!
- There are two museums in the Pays de Gex that should also be included in your programme, especially if you are accompanied by your little family: The musée des sapeurs-pompiers in Gex presents its two centuries of history through exhibitions of equipment and poignant testimonies. (open from May to the end of September).
- Discover the enchanting world of fine and precious stones as well as the know-how of the lapidary of the Haut-Jura by visiting the stone and lapidary museum in Mijoux. Large collections of cut or rough stones await you… Enjoy the impressive size of the stones or the completely unknown stones! On your way out, you may be tempted by one of their creations on display in the shop… to treat yourself or as a gift!
- Check out the permanent exhibition at the Maison de la Réserve naturelle de la Haute Chaîne du Jura in Gex , at the Pays de Gex Agglo offices. Free access, dive into the riches of the RNN through a 3D model, fun and sound games that will allow young and old alike to learn a little more about the reserve and its regulations.
So what do you think? We warned you, you will never be bored in the Pays de Gex, even when it rains! Take out the umbrellas, put on your rain boots and live the indoor experience while keeping your good mood! “I’m singin’ in the rain. Just singin’ in the rain. What a glorious feeling”.
Feel free to contact the Pays de Gex Tourist Office for more ideas!