There is much to say about the Pays de Gex and its Monts Jura resort… It’s not just about us; we want you to discover all that’s happening around the Pays de Gex as well.
In addition to its unique geographical position, it borders on Switzerland, the Jura, and Haute-Savoie, which all offer many interesting attractions. Let’s go there, shall we?
In particular, Geneva and the Swiss neighboring region offer you countless possibilities for sightseeing.
There is no shortage of ideas, whether it is museums or department stores, or even experiences on Lake Geneva.
To help you get started, here is a selection…
- Le bain bleu : looking to pamper yourself, relax and unwind in a hot tub with your partner or friends? You’ve come to the right place.
- Lake Geneva beaches: Enjoy the view between the lake and the mountains, relax on the shores of Lake Geneva and enjoy a picnic or the water activities available on site.
- The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Museum
- Natural History Museum : “The Museum, its size and its collections of worldwide importance owe their existence to the Genevan scientists and naturalists who, over the centuries, have been passionate about science.”
- St. Peter’s Cathedral and the archaeological area: a 360° panorama of Geneva from the Cathedral’s towers. The archaeological area allows visitors to discover the remains of the old Geneva.
More information on https://www.geneve.com/
Sightseeing around Lake Geneva
In addition to Geneva, there is much to discover around Lake Geneva. Here is an overview of the activities you can plan during your stay or for a weekend for the lucky ones who live in the area.
- Cruise on Lake Geneva with the CGN (Compagnie Générale de Navigation). Let yourself be carried along by the flow of water and admire the landscapes around you!
- Tourist train and boat trips: from Nyon, on the shores of Lake Geneva, the NStCM railway takes you to picturesque villages on the road to Saint-Cergue.
- Nyon : Nyon is known for its festivals, its history and its business tourism. It is set between Lake Geneva, the La Côte AOC vineyards and the Jura mountains. Don’t miss the Château de Nyon, which stands at the top of the lake… Panorama guaranteed!
- Prangins Castle : experience castle life in the 18th century and stroll along the Promenade des Lumières.
- Lausanne : once you have visited the capital city of the Canton of Vaud, pay a visit to the Lausanne Olympic Museum and discover the history of the games!
- Servion zoo and Tropiquarium : meet the Nordic fauna, big cats, small primates or lemurs.
- Gruyères : A must-see medieval village where you can visit: the castle with special exhibitions of paintings; la Maison du Gruyère : observe the cheese-making process in the morning! There is a combo ticket for the castle and the Maison du Gruyère.
- Maison Cailler (Broc) : A must-visit for chocolate addicts!
- Montreux : Stroll along the flowery promenade of this town nestled between steep hills and Lake Geneva. Renowned for its mild microclimate, its jazz festival attracts many visitors in July. You can also explore the Castle of Chillon; the Rocher de Naye (which can be climbed on foot or by cogwheel train) with a superb view of Lake Geneva, nature before your eyes and, as a bonus, marmots like no other; the Lavaux vineyards, a magnificent vineyard listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Don’t forget to visit the Deck bar for an incredible view of the vineyards, Montreux, Lake Geneva and the mountains. Also experience the Montreux Jazz Festival and the Christmas Market.
- Swiss Vapeur Parc : a trip on small trains, a must for the whole family!
- Yvoire : This medieval town is classified as one of the most beautiful villages in France. Wander through the narrow streets of this town, visit its castle and the garden of the 5 senses.
On the Jura side
In the Jura mountains, there are many surprising landscapes to discover. Here are a few ideas for discoveries that you can easily access from the Pays de Gex.
Discover the resort of Les Rousses :
- The Polar Worlds Space (Museum / Ice rink) – Prémanon
- La Boissellerie (1h30 guided tour) – Bois d’Amont
- The Fort des Rousses maturing cellars – Comté Juraflore (compulsory guided tour). On-line booking required.
Among other things, take a look at:
- Lake Lamoura (swimming and fishing)
- The lake and water activities in Les Rousses
- The commando games (adventure tour with via ferrata, zipline). This activity is very well monitored and takes place around the fort of Les Rousses.
- Gaïa Loisirs – Lamoura (barefoot trail, parkabout, horseback riding, explore games).
Les Moussières :
- Cheese factory (visit gallery / video + sale)
- Pipes and Diamonds exhibition
- Abbey Museum
- Pipes Genod : discovery of the Master Pipers and visit of the workshop.
- The world of automatons: for young children, 90 automatons, 2 rooms, a story around the Fables de La Fontaine.
La ligne des Hirondelles : discover the Jura on one of the most beautiful railway lines in France ! (note: the Dôle-St Claude section will be closed in the summer of 2020 until 25 September for maintenance).
On the Ain side
Back in the Ain with some great discoveries to make beyond the Pays de Gex
- Museum of the Resistance and Deportation
- Lake of Nantua
- Lake Genin: with its Canadian atmosphere, enjoy numerous activities and an inn for eating or sleeping all year round.
- Valséo : VALSEO is an aqua complex with three distinct and complementary areas to offer you a combination of sport, relaxation and leisure.
- Pertes de la Valserine : take a walk along the path that runs alongside the Valserine river and discover the chasms and limestone canyons.
Plateau de Retord
Numerous hikes, or try a dog sled ride, for example.
- Vitam Parc : enjoy a relaxing break in this Spa and wellness area equipped with a water park and sports activities.
- Salève cable car: hikes, viewpoints, restaurants, or paragliding will be on the agenda.
Annecy : 45 minutes from the Pays de Gex, it is impossible to miss this gorgeous and charming town. Its old town, its lake and its beaches will leave you with unforgettable memories.